You are absolutely correct on both counts. I am more interested in the mechanics of how it was added to the score, and how it could be removed. I was told how to remove it off-list (selection tool, click on the object and press delete), so now my question has transformed to how it could be created.

On Aug 25, 2007, at 6:12 PM, John Howell wrote:

That is a perfectly ordinary "Incipit," showing the original clefs, key signature and mensuration sign. That information is important, and I'm not sure why you want to delete it. I would always include that in any edition of mine, if I knew how to insert it. It tells you, for instance, that this edition has transposed the original up a minor third, which would make it quite difficult if you were to want to use renaissance instruments on it, but was probably done to accommodate female altos, always a problem with music originally sung by all male voices.

Unfortunately it is an incomplete incipit, because it fails to include the first note in each part, which gives important information not only about the transposition but about the original note values, also important information, especially if the piece breaks into triple time and you have to figure out the original proportion.

If you just want to perform it, forget the incipit and download the PDF. I got it in seconds.

John


--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music
Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A 24061-0240
Vox (540) 231-8411  Fax (540) 231-5034
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to