At 6:35 PM -0400 8/29/07, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
Hi all

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/graupner/wagenseil.jpg

I have a question about the articulations used in this screenshot ( I
apologize about the poor quality, this is a scan of a Xerox copy):

It's unclear to me what the symbol "po" then followed by a "f" would indicate.
Is this a way to notate a quick swell on the very short note values?
What would be the modern method to notate such a dynamic marking? This
is taken from an opera overture by Wagenseil and dates from around
1749.

Thanks

I'm thinking that it's dynamics all right, but there are two possible modern interpretations. One is literal, with the notes marked f intended to bump up in volume--a stress but not an accent, if that makes sense. (I note that all are slurred.) The other is that it might suggest a cresc. from the note marked p to the one marked f, then back to p. I can't remember whether hairpins were used in the 18th century, but someone else might. What's happening in the other parts might support one hypothesis or the other.

John


--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music
Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A 24061-0240
Vox (540) 231-8411  Fax (540) 231-5034
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to