On Sep 3, 2007, at 7:15 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:

It seems ridiculously picky to notate the value of each note using voices, or layers, and I may be being overly picky even with this notation. How is this done in piano music.


No one addressed this part of your question, but as for me--a pianist of 50+ years--I'd say you are indeed being mighty picky. If you want certain, specific rhythms, seems to me you find a place for them within the beat structure of the measures involved. And then you'll get those "certain, specific rhythms."

What you won't get, though, is the musicality of a roll. An artistic pianist can do those in a way that would almost defy capturing them in notation but which would be musical. That's why there's a need for that rolled-chord symbol in the first place.

I guess I don't get what it is you're after that beats the randomness, but artistic randomness, of a rolled chord as played by the pianist.

--Richard


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to