On 5 Sep 2007 at 14:38, Andrew Stiller wrote:
> 
> On Sep 4, 2007, at 11:31 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
> 
> > You said "equal temperament" not "well-tempered." They are not even
> > close to being the same thing.
> 
> Oh come on. The range of possible temperaments in wh. it is possible to 
> play musically in every key is a very narrow one, and the difference 
> *in sound* between well-tempered and equal-tempered is a matter of a 
> few cents here and there. 

Are you crazy? There's a huge difference, because the less you spread 
out the comma, the more different the leftover keys (i.e., the bad 
ones) sound in comparison to the "good" keys.   

> Frankly, this is  one issue that I think has 
> been made far to much of; well-tempered, equal tempered, a be 
> gezunt---who  cares? Yeah, yeah, I know, you do; I don't.

I think that anyone who has actually played on instruments with the 
various temperaments would recognize immediately that equal 
temperament is a completely different animal than any of the well-
temperaments. There are even some mid-19th-century non-equal 
temperaments that sound incredibly exotic in comparison to ET (3 
summers ago I coached chamber music with a piano tuned in this 
temperament -- I forget the details of what it was -- but it made the 
key of Ab sound exotic and different, for instance).

-- 
David W. Fenton                    http://dfenton.com
David Fenton Associates       http://dfenton.com/DFA/


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to