At 06:19 PM 9/5/2007 -0400, David W. Fenton wrote:
>On 5 Sep 2007 at 14:38, Andrew Stiller wrote:

>> Oh come on. The range of possible temperaments in wh. it is possible to 
>> play musically in every key is a very narrow one, and the difference 
>> *in sound* between well-tempered and equal-tempered is a matter of a 
>> few cents here and there. 
>
>Are you crazy? There's a huge difference, because the less you spread 
>out the comma, the more different the leftover keys (i.e., the bad 
>ones) sound in comparison to the "good" keys.   

I agree with David on this. I would have been skeptical too, except that
years ago I heard an episode of Micrologus called "Temper, Temper" in which
contrasting examples were played. Those "few cents" made an enormous
difference in *sound*. Since then, I've had an huge respect for tuning
systems -- Western and others.

If you want to hear "Temper, Temper", I got permission from Ross Duffin,
the original scholar and commentator, to archive it: Show #423A on this
page: <http://kalvos.org/shows-2003.html>

Dennis


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to