If I remember correctly, Harnoncourt did a version of the second Brandenburg with natural horn a long time ago and even recorded it. Just tried to find the recording in the LP collection gathering dust in the basement, but had no luck. As I remember, it took a while to get used to the horn at the lower octave, but, again if my aural memory serves me, it did seem to work better with the other solo instruments than does the clarino sound we are used to today.
Eric
************************************************
Habsburger Verlag Frankfurt (Dr. Fiedler)
www.habsburgerverlag.de
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
************************************************


On 10.09.2007, at 17:54, John Howell wrote:

 it must have been intended for the horn and not the
trumpet.  Just compare the relative positions of the violin, oboe and
recorder at the opening and the "trumpet" part must be an octave lower. And before anybody points out that the recorder part is an octave too high, it was standard practice to treat recorders (and flutes) as if they played at four foot pitch, even though they were now notated at sounding pitch.

I'm not sure that any musical analysis could prove such an hypothesis, but as a practical matter it would solve a number of problems now without answers. I've read this speculation before, although I can't remember where.

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to