I wasn't just being funny with my "can of worms" answer. The theory of horn in place of trumpet on Brandenburg 2 (BWV 1047) was presented back in the late 60s by one scholar who had latched upon a copy of a third generation part labeled horn. There was an ensuing squabble, I believe, which trumpet players have always felt they won. I'll try to find out more, if it matters to anyone.

RBH