On Sep 20, 2007, at 8:49 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

On Sep 20, 2007, at 1:13 AM, Dick Hauser wrote:

On Sep 19, 2007, at 7:52 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

The only time I ever had a bad address error is when I had a bad RAM chip.

MemTest is a shareware app that does a great job of detecting bad RAM. I highly recommend it.

Barring that, am I right in thinking that you have 2 X 2 GB chips? Try removing one and see if it crashes. Then try the other one.

OK, I'll run Mem Test tonight and see what I get. I have 4 1 GB chips (that need to be installed in pairs, I think). That's a different configuration than 2 X 2 GB, right?

That's OK. You just will have to test them by removing and replacing them in pairs. You could even mix pairs to track down exactly which chip out of the two is acting up, in fact, you will probably have to do this at some point.

Thank you again, Christopher.  You're right, we may get to that.

rember did not find any errors on all the memory (although I didn't run it with the option to turn off the finder - I'll start that tonight). I called MM support. They were fine. Professional, courtious, efficient.

We looked at the startup screen and noted that the crash occured when the message "initializing midi" came up (after the initializing Core Midi) and so started to look at possibilities that something there was amiss. We moved the Plug-in components out of the Library=>Audio=>Plug-ins=>Components folder at the user and system level and still got the crash. We disconnected the midi interface (MOTU Midi Timepeace AV) and still got the crash with and without the plugins.

After that, MM asked for a copy of my system profile and promised to study the problem more tomorrow. I did a reinstall just because I had the time and we'd run out of ideas, but still no joy. My bet is that when the tech gets back to me, he'll be on the trail of bad ram as you have suggested.

Dick H