Chuck,

The hang-on-quit is a known problem with all versions of Finale and OS X 10.5.x (Leopard). It is possible to get a "clean" quit if you use Finale for a very short period of time, but anything more than about 5 minutes or so and Finale gets in a state where if you try to quit, it will hang. And once this happens, you cannot relaunch Finale without logging out and logging back in.

This is, I must say, INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING. But it seems like Apple is at least somewhat to blame here, as a significant number of audio- based apps have serious problems in Leopard -- Finale (and Sibleius, I might add) included.

The best workaround I've found is so far is to ALWAYS Force Quit Finale -- don't ever use File -> Quit, just go directly to Force Quit instead (cmd-opt-esc). I use that now instead of the regular quit, and most of the time, this works -- after a Force Quit I don't have to log out in order to relaunch Finale, which is something I have to do if I try to quit normally.

I have not seen the Preferences corruption issue you are having, but you should not, generally, have to restart your Mac in order to get Finale to recognize a fresh set of preferences -- Force Quit followed by a relaunch ought to do the trick.

A few gentle words of encouragement directed at MM Customer Support from everyone experiencing these issues couldn't hurt.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY