On 14 Nov 2008 at 9:04, dc wrote:

> David W. Fenton écrit:
> >I'm always suspicious of people who are suspicous of "notes". Notes
> >tell us things that we need to know and are usually not superfluous,
> >except to those who want to remain unencumbered by facts.
>
> The English language is such that "unencumbered by superfluous notes" can
> also mean that there are notes, but no superfluous ones. I'm always
> suspicious of one-way readings...

But "unencumbered" has a clear connotation, as does "superfuous." I
think it unlikely given the clear bias against a certain kind of
notes considered by the editor to be unnecessary, that there are any
notes.

Besides, one person's "useless" is another person's "invaluable."

I have always seen Minkoff as something of a non-scholarly publisher
(more like a book or art dealer), and that line seems hostile to
scholarship, or one of those cases of recasting what some would
consider a drawback (no scholarly apparatus) as a plus (no editorial
interference).

Prove me wrong, Dennis -- show me that there are notes, and that this
is not an example of commercial promotion (i.e., advertising speak)
at the expense of academic rigor.