Hi there:

Well the book I have is full of notes with excerpts from diaries or court
accounts of the event shown in the illustrations. Christopher Hogwood wrote
some introductory notes for this vol, and I believe Philip Pickett uses the
chapter on triumphant processions as an source for his recreations of these
events during his concerts in London at the Globe Theater.

Thanks much everyone ;)

Kim

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 3:49 PM, dc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> dc écrit:
>
>> David W. Fenton écrit:
>>
>>> Prove me wrong, Dennis -- show me that there are notes, and that this
>>> is not an example of commercial promotion (i.e., advertising speak)
>>> at the expense of academic rigor.
>>>

>> Well, I have Edmund Bowles' volume on the Middle Ages. He is a renowned
>> scholar. All the iconography has notes - identifying the exact source, the
>> instruments seen, etc. And the other books I've seen are all the works of
>> scholars specialized in the field in question (the ballet de cour, for
>> instance). But, if you're out to damn them without knowing anything about
>> these books, I'm afraid I can't help you.
>>

> There's also a long introduction, with 16 very scholarly footnotes.
>

> Dennis

Kim Patrick Clow
"Early Music enthusiasts think outside the Bachs!"