On 3/12/2010 8:12 PM, Ray Horton wrote:
dershem wrote:

Seriously, though, the limits depend on the player. I can recall
seeing Bill Watrous speak through his trombone.

cd

That could be fun, but Bill did more of a ... controlled vowel
movement, changing the timbre of the sounds he played to sound like
speech. He was creating the buzz, but the pitch was highly variable,
and very strongly modulated.

He did the beginning of MacArthur's retirement speech.

cd

Yeah, played vowel sounds are a different deal entirely. Stuart Dempster
and Vinko Globokar are the pioneers. The assumption is that the basic
brass sound is "ah" (or "oh"), and that one can, with change of mouth
shape, produce all the vowel sounds.

Watrous was playing for you a few bars of this classic work:
<http://artofthestates.org/cgi-bin/piece.pl?pid=11>

My guess, is, that like me, Bill has only mastered a few bars of the
piece, as his priorities are elsewhere. But I could be wrong. I heard
him do a nice bit of multiphonics, years ago.

Here is a 2006 article on my good friend Stuart Dempster at age 70. Stu
commissioned (really co-composed, from what I understand) and championed
"General Speech" back in the late 60's:
<http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove?oid=31594>

RBH

Bill gave full credit to Stu when he did the schtick. He spent a couple of minutes of a clinic talking through the horn to answer questions, and then had to stop to crack up.

cd
--
http://members.cox.net/dershem/index.html
http://dershem.livejournal.com/