dershem wrote:

Seriously, though, the limits depend on the player. I can recall seeing Bill Watrous speak through his trombone.

cd

None of these effects are as resonant as actually _playing_ the instrument, though, and can fool the player, and possibly the conductor, as to how far the sound carries.

Years ago we performed, then recorded a work called "Forest Music" by Paul Chihara. In the middle of the work the brass players, unaccompanied, individually recite various overlapping poems about trees through their instruments. (I remember the tubist is directed to recite "I think that I shall never see / a tuba lovely as a tree," but most were more serious, as if that makes any difference.) During that section my parents in the audience said they could hear nothing. One of our members caught the radio broadcast of the concert - nearly a minute of dead air in the middle of the piece.

We recorded the work - I assume the recording engineer (Andy Kazdin from Columbia Records) got some sound down.

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist,
Louisville Orchestra