At 4:44 PM -0400 3/14/10, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 14 Mar 2010 at 13:17, John Howell wrote:

 lute with brass choir

This made me laugh out loud, and start imagining impossible
ensembles. I started with the bass lute with brass choir, and turned
it into solo lute on-stage with antiphonal brass choirs in the side
galleries.

And it would be worse with a clavichord, the only instrument that can be drowned out by a lute!

Other than mixing instruments with completely contradictory sound
profiles, what other kinds of things would make for incompatibility?

Some of the things that we hear every day on recordings, like bass flute (a favorite of Mancini) with jazz band. Probably similar with John Williams scores. "We can fix it in the mix!"

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.