Hi Robert,

> (Or if, as I wonder if Darcy does, the instruments have microphones.)

Depends on the room. But granted, when we are playing unamplified, the room is
generally pretty small. "Blow air" works fine, unamplified, in a space like the
Jazz Gallery (which seats 75). Probably less well in a large concert hall.

The Kronos Quartet concert I saw last night at Zankel Hall (all Terry Riley's
music) opened with a new piece written for Kronos and the Young People's Chorus
of New York City. The opening gesture had the chorus scratching the covers of
their folders with their fingernails in a circular motion. This was audible!

(Granted, it's possible the effect was slightly reinforced via Zankel's room
mics. The amplification in that hall is very transparent, and Kronos's engineer
is very good.)

Cheers,

- DJA
-----