Hi Dennis,

I use accents, dynamics, and slurs as appropriate, but I also rely on the
musical instincts of the performers to find the lines and shape the phrases
appropriately. It's obviously easier when I am the one conducting the work, but
I also feel that performances of my work where I'm not involved in the
rehearsal process are more or less out of my hands anyway.

I am surprised to learn that your experience is that performers "loathe" the
square bracket above, which seems to me the most obvious solution to your
problem! Certainly that sort of thing seems preferable to a confusing mismash
of odd beam groupings that require the performers to pencil in all the
downbeats below the part in order to be able to follow the conductor.

It seems to me there are many ways to indicate "a shift in articulation or a
change of phrasing or a mere indication of lift" other than "ametrical" beaming.

Cheers,

- DJA
-----
WEB: http://www.secretsocietymusic.org