Many thanks, Chuck. I got your other message about it being a FAN file issue,
so I tried putting the FAN files I have into the Font Annotation folder for
Finale 2010 (they weren't there already, so this is beginning to make sense).
It didn't seem to have any effect on the ties, so I suspect the FAN files are
outdated and perhaps don't "match" the ChordSym font. I'll dig out the Finale
Productivity installation disk (that may take a minute) and try reinstalling
the fonts and the FAN files from there and see if that solves it. Meanwhile, if
you'd care to send your ChordSym FAN file I'd give it a try as well.

Many thanks for your kind offer and for generously sharing your time and
expertise. This is about to solve something that I thought was "unsolvable"
(insoluble?) for years and that I needlessly accepted as a small price to pay
for the pleasure of working with Bill's fonts.

Doug