Since this subject came up, it reminded me of a couple things I've been meaning
to ask. One is regarding sharing documents that use the chord symbol font with
others who don't own it, and the other has to do with stem direction in
rhythmic notation.

When I know a score I've created is going to someone else to format and extract
parts, to be safe I don't use any fonts that aren't "native" to Finale, but I
really hate going back to the look of the default slash and rhythmic notation
as well as the chord symbols especially. I remember that Bill had actually
specified that it was OK with him to provide the fonts to someone else in such
a situation, provided one didn't also include the detailed instructions on how
to use them, so the recipient could presumably simply install the relevant
fonts in their system and be able to view and print the document as intended.
But it has always seemed that one is asking for trouble by doing this (not
legal trouble, just complications), and there's no guarantee that everything
ends up looking the same on the other person's system as it does on mine, so I
haven't pursued it.

The other question is whether anyone has had any luck when using Bill's font(s)
for rhythmic notation in setting the stem direction to down instead of up. It
seems that sometimes I can get it to work, but often if I set stem direction to
down (in both places where it's possible to do so), I end up with no stems at
all and flags displaced - a real mess. I'm not talking about Bill's method of
creating another staff for rhythmic notation that would eventually be
superimposed on the original staff in order to get smaller slashes and stems in
rhythmic notation; I'm talking about just using it in the "main" staff.

While I don't particularly mind the look of stems up, it's not the way I've
always written it by hand, and of course once you add chord symbols and
articulations (which for some reason always get placed too high vertically and
have to be dragged down), things get crowded above the staff.

I know there are some folks on the list who use these things regularly, and I'd
welcome any advice or perhaps an approach or setting that I've missed along the
way. FWIW, I'm using Finale 2010 (Mac).

Thanks,
Doug