Thanks for answering, Chuck. It occurred to me that one possible cause is
having started a new score using an older one as a template. So who knows how
many incarnations this particular document has gone through? So I opened a new
document in 2010, added a staff and inputted some rhythmic notation and, sure
enough, it worked fine with stems down. Among other things, I guess this is a
good reminder to update my default document(s) with each new version; I have to
admit I haven't made a habit of doing that.

I'm almost there. I got the stems shortened, but the final setting that I seem
to be missing is for ties. If I tie any notes in rhythmic notation, the ties
end up way above the staff. Oddly, if I flip them, they attach to the notes
where you'd expect, but as soon as I flip them back, they jump up about half an
inch. I looked at all the settings in Document Options > Ties but haven't yet
figured out what to change if anything. I'll keep experimenting.

Thanks again for the help.

Doug