You can still use automatic music spacing (for instance in Speedy Entry or
adding articulations) on later measures without it affecting earlier spacing
UNTIL you do an Update Layout for the whole document. If 'incorporate'
manual positioning is checked, the only spacing that will be interfered with
is manual changes to measure widths. Always do those last.

Also, Update Layout only affects your current and later pages. Earlier pages
are not affected.

Richard Yates