Hello! Am 01.02.2011 um 15:40 schrieb Steve Parker <[email protected]>:
> What prevents me from using it is that it only works in Mac OS9 or the > Classic environment so it is dependent on an old mac staying alive. Or on complete emulation of those. I think there's software for that: vMac and SheepShaver. > That old mac requires a printer that has drivers for OS9. Any Postscript capable printer should work. > There are none so instead it requires a print to pdf kludge that worked > erratically, often requiring one sheet at a time and multiple redos. > I can still make it work but the time taken to get printed output is now > longer than the extra time it takes to work in Finale. > I can send you samples of mine. OK, I didn't try it that far. Didn't have a legit copy of Igor anyway. > The big thing it does is that I can grab anything and move it at any point. > It treated this sensibly so, for instance, I could grab a note with its stem > and not just the stem nor the head. Sounds a bit like Sibelius. > Secondly I can assign shortcuts to any expression or slur or shape or accent > etc and enter them whilst entering notes. > For example: input note, push A for accent, p for piano mark, f for a pause, > and d to start a hairpin. > All without changing tools or modes. Again like Sibelius. But unfortunately, you have to enable the accent in Sibelius before entering the note. > I know little about it, but get the idea that mode-switching is now > considered generally bad for workflow in computer apps. It it, indeed. The problem with modes is that the very same keystroke will produce completely different results in different modes. This requires the user to permanently be aware of the mode he is working in. The non-modal approach, however, requires an inccreasing amount of keyboard shortcuts we users have to remember, for all actions can (ideally) be performed at any time. > Thirdly it had linked parts from the start which had more sensible linkage > than Finale has now. > Fourthly ability to lock anything down no matter what I do around it. > I can give quite a list. > I can also give a (smaller for now..) list of things that I prefer about > finale. Entering rhythmic values is a big one. Ah, the old rhythm problem. Does anybody but me remember a program called "MasterScore II"? For me, it had the most logical method of entering notes and chords with a computer keyboard. A quarter note a' would have been entered by typing "a1.4". An eight of the same pitch would be typed in "a1.8" -- very easy to remember. Lower octaves were accesed by typing "a0", "A0" etc., different metric values by adding dots after the 4 or 8 and chords were entered using brackets: [a1c1e1]4. produced an a minor chord a dotted quarter long. > Running on a mac that is not 7 years old is the biggest! Hehe … > Igor will still work on a windows machine. I considered it but changing > platform to use dead and unsupported software seemed a whole lot less > appetising than switching (back) to Finale. You could still use it on a virtual machine if it would be of any use. Regards, Gerhard Torges Musiker, Lehrer, Arrangeur, Notensetzer Beethovenstr. 20 49124 Georgsmarienhütte Telefon: (+49)/(0) 5401 361590 Mobil: (+49)/(0) 178 501 29 15 _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [email protected] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
