On 1 Feb 2011, at 20:00, Gerhard Torges wrote:

Hello!

Am 01.02.2011 um 15:40 schrieb Steve Parker <st...@pinkrat.co.uk>:

What prevents me from using it is that it only works in Mac OS9 or the Classic environment so it is dependent on an old mac staying alive.

Or on complete emulation of those.
I think there's software for that: vMac and SheepShaver.

Tried both. Not near reliable for Igor at least.

The big thing it does is that I can grab anything and move it at any point. It treated this sensibly so, for instance, I could grab a note with its stem and not just the stem nor the head.

Sounds a bit like Sibelius.

Sort of but then there are a whole other load of differences. I don't like Sibelius at all..

I know little about it, but get the idea that mode-switching is now considered generally bad for workflow in computer apps.

It it, indeed.
The problem with modes is that the very same keystroke will produce completely different results in different modes. This requires the user to permanently be aware of the mode he is working in. The non-modal approach, however, requires an inccreasing amount of keyboard shortcuts we users have to remember, for all actions can (ideally) be performed at any time.

Except, I think that even expert users don't use all of the 1000 shortcuts.. I reckon 20-30 well thought out ones (without modes) would be enough to keep most copyists pretty happy, especially if they could be sensibly modified with shift, alt etc.

Ah, the old rhythm problem.
Does anybody but me remember a program called "MasterScore II"?
For me, it had the most logical method of entering notes and chords with a computer keyboard. A quarter note a' would have been entered by typing "a1.4". An eight of the same pitch would be typed in "a1.8" -- very easy to remember. Lower octaves were accesed by typing "a0", "A0" etc., different metric values by adding dots after the 4 or 8 and chords were entered using brackets: [a1c1e1]4. produced an a minor chord a dotted quarter long.

Too many keys for me. I'd use Lilypond if I wanted to do this kind of thing..
Actually I feel Finale has it nailed.

You could still use it on a virtual machine if it would be of any use.

Always I'm left with a problem when I come to print or email.

I'm pretty happy with Finale - especially since flooding the list with questions a few weeks ago. ;-)

Steve P.