On Feb 1, 2011, at 8:04 PM, Raymond Horton <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jumping into this conversation with both feet in my mouth: > > ... >>>> I know little about it, but get the idea that mode-switching is now >>>> considered generally bad for workflow in computer apps. >>> >>> It it, indeed. >>> The problem with modes is that the very same keystroke will produce >>> completely different results in different modes. >>> This requires the user to permanently be aware of the mode he is working >>> in. > > OK, youse guys has lost me. Is Finale modal or non-modal? > > I'm guessing mostly the former. I know one mode-switch in Finale that > has bitten me several times, and I only recently figured out what I > was doing: > > Now and then, especially if i have auto-spacing switched off, with the > mass-mover tool I may hit ctrl-A to select the whole document, then > hit "4" to re-space. I'll do this really without thinking about it, > maybe while I AM thinking about a musical decision or something else > dreadfully important. But, every once in a while, when I have > semi-consciously typed ctrl-A, 4, every line of my orchestral score > will start, one by one, changing to a Bb tenor sax staff (sounds like > a bad dream, doesn't it?) Then, one ctrl-z won't undo the mess - a > whole series of ctrl-zs are necessary (or pulling up the "edit" menu > to view the undo/redo history there). > > Recently I had this mass sax-change operation happen to a chamber > orchestra score I was working on - I dutifully undid all the damage, > or so I thought. Just before I emailed the PDF of the score to the > conductor, I started looking closely at the Bb clarinet part - it had > gone haywire - most of it was now a minor 7th off, but not all. I had > to go through the whole score and check/fix this one staff, a few bars > at a time. > > If anyone is still reading, have you figured out what I occasionally > do wrong to cause this dreadful mass score change into a tenor sax > band? I finally did - it happens when I type ctrl-A, 4 while the > STAFF Tool is selected instead of the Mass Mover tool. So, context is > indeed everything. Yikes! > > > Raymond Horton > Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra > Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC > Composer, Arranger > _______________________________________________ > Finale mailing list > [email protected] > http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [email protected] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
