Adam,

I have little experience with this, but I think the sampled string sounds are
set up to imitate a (bad) string section - to drag and overlap, rather than to
play and articulate cleanly and rhythmically, the way a good string quartet (or
string ensemble) can.  I would guess that one way to make things play back more
cleanly would be to assign a hidden articulation (staccato dots?, accents with
dots?) and see if that helps.  Of course, it's pain to do, but so are most
playback issues.  There is also the possibility that assigning another of
Robert Piechaud's Human Playback styles may improve things.  21st Century?
Anyway, those would be things I'd try.

Chuck

On Feb 10, 2011, at 10:05 AM, Adam Taylor wrote:

> I've decided to appeal to the collective wisdom of the list for help with
> this. I am writing a piece for string quartet, and I want to be able to write
> fast notes for the GPO Solo Violin (Viola/Cello) in Finale 2009c (not
> stupidly fast, but along the lines of eighth and sixteenth notes at dotted
> half=72 (the tempo from the Scherzo movement in Mendelssohn's String Quartet
> #4). Problem is that the notes come out sloppy. There is no articulation to
> them at all. In a group of four sixteenth notes, the second and fourth notes
> more or less disappear in playback, and even staccato eighth runs are sloppy
> and half the notes aren't even played noticeably. Any advice on how to fix
> this sloppy sound would be more than appreciated. I love the sounds of the
> Garritan solo string instruments, but seriously, I can't use them if they're
> not going to play the notes that are written.
>
> And for reference, I even copied out the initial bars of the Mendelssohn
> Quartet's Scherzo and it gave the same sloppy playback as it did with my own
> music. I know it can sound a lot better because the recording I have
> articulates every note clearly at the fast tempo.
>
> Adam

Chuck Israels
1310 NW Naito Parkway #807
Portland, OR 97209-3162