Michael,

So sorry to hear about your woes. Most of us have been there before.
At this point, after the price has been set and the work mostly done,
there isn't much to do except try to make the client see that the
price IS actually fair. He must have had an idea of how much it would
be in the end, since he was aware of how many measures and
instruments he was asking for.

A friend of mine once said that there are only three things that are
important in a contract. Scope, time and money. Scope is the size of
the work, time is the deadline, and of course money is the price,
about which there can be no discussion after the contract is agreed
upon, UNLESS there are changes to the scope and/or time, which there
appear to have been! Since you were clear about how the work is
charged, there is no problem here. After being burned a few times on
revisions and changes, I now charge hourly for changes after ONE
chance to sign off on the original work. Offering certain
satisfaction to the client, as you do, was my policy at first, but
then I realised that some clients were never satisfied, and some
(even worse) changed their minds constantly after the work was done.

He added pieces but didn't give you any more time, thus incurring
overtime on your part. He must have known that adding work would
raise the price (I hope you gave him an estimate up front? Something
like "100 measures makes about 25 pages of score and 20 pages of
parts, so 45 pages times $10 per page gives $450 for this piece.")

There are a lot of ways to charge, but most importantly, you were
upfront about it.

Per filled measure (frame) which Finale can count for you. This rate
charges the same for a plain whole note as for a florid measure with
slurs, articulations, and expressions, but easy ones can cancel out
difficult ones on a large project.

Per score measure. This rate varies according to the number of staves
(not instruments!) in the score, and includes part extraction. The
drawback is that you are paid the same for lightly-scored passages as
you are for tutti passages. Again, the easy ones make up for the hard
ones in the long run.

Per page, as you have done. Whole notes take up less room than florid
measures, so the number of measures may vary from page to page, so
this might be the fairest method, unless you have fixed numbers of
measures per system as they do in film work and Broadway.

You need to explain to him that the rate takes into account the fact
that you don't have to re-enter the entries for the parts; just
format. If you were to supply scores and someone else were to work
the parts, he would have to pay that person for it and your score
rate would be higher than your combined score and part rate.

The New York musicians union has many different ways to calculate
arranging (I list them above), but they suggest charging hourly for
part extraction and layout in a computer program. This way, tough
ones are charged more, while easy ones are cheaper.

But the bottom line is you worked overtime for three weeks and made
$1500. That's peanuts. I think the price is more than fair, unless
you are a newbie who works at a snail's pace, and you don't sound
like that.

Oh yes, and don't apologise for necessary work you did. You were
required to do it and you did it. I probably would have wanted the
score to have ALL the piano parts, since the music director would
want to know what was there, but that wasn't my decision.

This is the best method I've found for pricing. You may find it
useful too.

http://dashes.com/anil/2005/05/pay-by-the-hour.html

Christopher