I have no idea what Quicklook and Spotlight are.  Are these Mac things
that allow you to preview and print the document without actually
opening in Finale?

I could see that could be useful, but that hasn't been a deal breaker
for me, as I've never had that capability in the first place.  It sounds
like the good news is that because of the new future-oriented file
system, once those tools are working, they should continue to work on
future releases with minimal or no development work, and that means
development resources could be put against other problems.

This is the frustration of doing a major architectural upgrade to a
rather old codebase.  Users get the impression that there are few
benefits for such a long wait.  But the benefits are there -- they are
just realized over a longer time horizon.