On 3/20/2015 6:25 PM, Paul Hayden wrote:
> I have a section with many pairs of eighth notes, each pair slurred with a
> staccato note on the second eighth. A string player recommended that I change
> each pair to an eighth slurred to a sixteenth, to make clear that no change
> of bow is desired on the second eighth:
>
> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64656173/slurred%208ths.pdf>
>
> 1. Do you think that this _would_ be clearer regarding the bowing? (Of
> course, I guess I could just show a down-bow on the first pair and an up-bow
> on the second pair.)
>
> 2. If I do change every pair, is there a plug-in that might be able to assist
> me in changing each pair of eighths to an eighth slurred into a sixteenth?
>
> Thanks so much for any advice on this.

As you can see from all the replies you've received, it won't matter how
it's marked, people will misinterpret what you want.

Personally I think the original way you wrote it is perfectly clear --
anybody who wants to make the second 8th portato can do so but since
that the first note should not be portato the violinists should slur to
the second note, cut the second note short and then leave the
appropriate space before the following note is played.

I agree with the comment that you should not mark the down-bow or up-bow
unless this piece is for a student orchestra and you've had a violin
teacher bow the entire piece to be sure the bowings will make some sense.

The suggestion of the violinist to change the staccato 8th into a 16th
with a 16th rest will probably be the most clear to everybody so even
though it's a bother you should do that to get the sound you want
without whomever is performing it wasting valuable rehearsal time
debating what the composer actually meant.

I don't know of any plug-in to make that change, though, so I think
you'll need to enter all those changes individually.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com