One change that might make it seem less like a bowing is to put the
staccato mark over the stem instead of under the note. This works better
for upstem than downstem.

Personally, I don't understand the resistance to using 16ths, but ymmv. If
the OP wants to switch to using 16ths, the JW Ryhthm Copy can facilitate
the change of rhythm fairly simply. (It may take a few passes, because the
plugin is a bit picky.) And my Mass Copy plugin can remove the staccato
dots in one click.