I was hoping for an inspired response... but..

AFAIK there really is no solution. The workaround for me involves a strict
order of editing. It would be great to invoke music or time sig. spacing
without it destroying what you've already set.
The very last thing for me is altering bar length and moving elements
horizontally, then printing to  pdf before saving.

Steve P.