On 12/8/2016 12:36 AM, Giovanni Andreani wrote:
> I agree with Patrick, the denominator suggests the pulse's value.

If that's true, then why is 6/8 so often played as 2/dotted-quarter
instead of clearly indicating each 8th note?  That seems to be the
majority of the time.

And the original question wasn't about which is less likely to cause
confusion in rehearsal (I find that most of the time such confusion is
caused by people who want to show off their music theory "skills" rather
than actual confusion by people who truly don't understand how the music
is supposed to sound).

The original question was how *best* to show that the emphasis in the
measure(s) in question should be on 1, 3, and 5 instead of 1 and 4.

I still don't understand how using a meter that is most widely
understood to be compound-triple meter (6 is usually broken up into 2
groups of 3) would indicate that.

Keeping the quarter note pulse going at the same rate shouldn't be a
problem for any composer to explain (the use of q = q should take care
of that) but how would a composer indicate that the emphasis should be
on 1, 3, 5 while using a meter that many people interpret as havint the
emphasis on 1 and 4?

Those of us on this list who have participated in this discussion would
have no problem since the way the question was asked originally lets us
know how the 6/4 or 3/2 measures should be interpreted.  But putting
aside those of us on this list, how would a composer indicate in a
printed score, without using accent marks which would likely produce
more emphasis than desired, that with a 6/4 meter the emphasis should be
1, 3, 5 so that a performer far removed from this discussion or removed
even from this time (for example finding the score 50 years from now and
choosing to perform it) would understand how the music should sound?

--
*****
David H. Bailey