My tuppence:

I see both and if you have time to explain you could use either.
But.. if I was writing for a sight read or studio session (or any classical
players) I would write it the way it would be conducted.
If I wrote 6/4 and then conducted three accents in the bar, it would lead to
unnecessary questions.
Can you give an example of where a combination of 4/4 and 2/4 wouldn't solve
it, if you require the denominator to stay a 4?
All I can think is something like a 5 over the 6 counts, but then it would be
fine to treat the 3 accents as hemiola over 6 anyway.

Steve P.