[I’ve trimmed the previous discussion]

I just conducted a piece for concert band by Samuel R. Hazo called “Arabesque”
where there is a single measure of 6/4 indicated to be conducted 2+2+2 in a
context of 4/4. I think this was the right decision, as 4/4 + 2/4 would have
implied a stronger accent on the 2/4 bar than was on the 3 of the 4/4 bar. It
was a complex measure, too, and having me give a big downbeat in the middle of
that complex figure would have sent a message that wasn’t implied in the music.

I wouldn’t have liked three bars of 2/4 either, in a context of 4/4, as that
would have been really weird.

I think that old convention of 6 being always compound time is relaxed now.
Other conventions that lived out their usefulness have been retired, too, so
I’m pretty okay with that.

Christopher