Hi Darcy,

I may have overstated my insistence on 3/2 vs 6/4. My own music changes meter
often, suppresses downbeats (or emphasizes offbeats), sometimes floats freely
above the meter for long stretches. Your wisdom — along with your experience —
is evident, clear, and also well known.

Even still, I embrace tradition in notational practice wherever I can, seeing
it as the immediately-understood default choice of experienced musicians. This
may relate to the fact that the first time I was taken to task for ignoring the
3/2 vs 6/4 distinction was early in my career, and was from a (now) hugely
successful and well-known composer and conductor who specializes in classical
contemporary music of the most demanding and adventurous type.

Of course, everything ultimately depends on context, clarity of intent, ease of
reading, knowledge of the band and their expectations — all of this takes
precedence. I would just say that it is always best to know that one is
ignoring conventions, and to have good reasons for doing so. And, so, as you
say, “the distinction is useful until it’s not."

By the way, I am a huge fan. I was playing your music for a DMA composition
student the other day. He was hugely impressed.

David Froom