For anyone who is interested in the notation, here are a couple examples.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e67walobznq1ygl/Crumb-DayOfComet.tiff?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nz3afpyiyx1y4m/Crumb-ZeitgeistEx2.tiff?dl=0

He also uses it extensively in the "Musica Apocalypitca" movement of Star
Child. It really requires no explanation, which is one of the attractive
features of it.