> On Nov 15, 2014, at 6:53 PM, Sean Lake <odysseus9...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ok, fixed it. Installed Oracle’s Java.
>
> Sean
>
>> On Nov 15, 2014, at 17:52, Sean Lake <odysseus9...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I’m getting multiple packages, especially gnucash2, complaining about the
>> lack of system-java16-dev on my new mac. I’ve installed
>> java_for_os_x_2013005_dp__11m4609.dmg, but it doesn’t seem to have rectified
>> the problem. Running fink apropos java, I get:
>> i      system-java     1.6.0-1 [virtual package representing Java 1.6.0]
>> i      system-java16   1.6.0-1 [virtual package representing Java 1.6.0]
>>       system-java16-dev       1.6.0-1 [virtual package representing Java
>> 1.6.0 development headers]
>>
>> What do I need to install to get that last package?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sean
>>
>> sudo fink install gnucash2
>> Password:
>> Information about 10219 packages read in 0 seconds.
>> Can't resolve dependency "system-java-dev" for package "bison-legacy-2.7.1-1"
>> (no matching packages/versions found)
>> Exiting with failure.
>>
>> fink --version
>> Package manager version: 0.38.2
>> Distribution version: selfupdate-rsync Sat Nov 15 14:55:28 2014, 10.10,
>> x86_64
>> Trees: local/main stable/main stable/crypto

Sorry for the confusion here.  We have two versions of the availability code
for virtual packages;

1)  The package shows up in the list as not installed if it isn’t detected.
2)  The package doesn’t show up in the list at all if it isn’t detected.

I prefer 2) to be used for virtual packages which are impossible to install on
certain OS versions, and 1) for packages which are always possible to satisfy.
 We might want to switch system-java-dev over to 1).  Option 1) has fink go
through an install procedure and then gives a more verbose error message, so it
seems more appropriate here.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison