> On Nov 16, 2014, at 7:13, Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 16, 2014, at 7:02 AM, Sean Lake <odysseus9...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sorry for the confusion here.  We have two versions of the availability
>>> code for virtual packages;
>>>
>>> 1)  The package shows up in the list as not installed if it isn’t detected.
>>> 2)  The package doesn’t show up in the list at all if it isn’t detected.
>>>
>>> I prefer 2) to be used for virtual packages which are impossible to install
>>> on certain OS versions, and 1) for packages which are always possible to
>>> satisfy.   We might want to switch system-java-dev over to 1).  Option 1)
>>> has fink go through an install procedure and then gives a more verbose
>>> error message, so it seems more appropriate here.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
>>> Fink User Liaison
>>>

>> Thanks, but I don’t know if that would address the issue I was having.
>>
>> In this particular case, installing Apple’s latest Java didn’t satisfy the
>> requirement for system-java16-dev. That tells me that either the detection
>> in system-java16-dev is busted, or Apple’s Java is broken in a way that
>> makes it unable to fulfill that need. If it is the latter case, it would be
>> helpful if the instructions on 10.10 were updated to specify Oracle’s Java
>> is needed.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Sean
>
> The detection system worked just fine for me when last I checked it (a couple
> of weeks ago).
>
> When you say “Apple’s latest java”, does that mean the legacy SDK?
> http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572
> Your package list suggests not.
>
> What java is needed depends on the package.  Some packages just want _a_
> Java, and some won’t build using Oracle’s.  Other older packagers may want
> system-java16 because at the time it was the newest option.
> --
> Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
> Fink User Liaison

I installed the files available from Apple’s developer site in the dmg file
named: java_for_os_x_2013005_dp__11m4609.dmg . It was the newest Java installer
Apple had listed on developer.apple.com’s developer member site. That file you
linked is newer (2013–005 vs 2014-001), so I’ll install it. Regardless, all of
the packages I installed seemed happy with the Oracle install I did.

Thanks,

Sean