> On Dec 1, 2017, at 05:35, Max Horn <m...@quendi.de> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>

> SF.net meant to disable CVS commits yesterday, but it seems they have not yet
> (at least I was just able to commit something).
>

> I have been badly out of the loop, but: is anybody working on a transition
> plan? It seems high time for one, no? It seems we need at least this, in
> order:
>
> 1. A fink release with selfupdate-git or -svn support (done!)

It’s in master but a release hasn’t been tagged yet.

> 2. A full migration of the CVS repository to SVN or GIT (status?)
>   and disable write access to the CVS repository for everybody (except for
> handful of admins, so they can perform the next step)

I’m not sure what the repository status is.

I would like folks to stop using *just* IRC and also record issues and the like
on github.com/fink/fink <http://github.com/fink/fink> so that we don’t have to
rely on people’s memories, fragile IRC bots, or people being logged in to IRC
all the time (I don’t even open my laptop when I get home some days).

I just sent out a message with a soft freeze announcement.  I’ll adjust CVSROOT
later on.

> 3. A fink release (with an .info file in the CVS repository) which disables
> selfupdate-cvs, and instead prompts the user to switch to the -git or -svn
> variant.

And how, exactly, should this be done?  A diff or PR against current master
would be great.  I don’t have a lot of focused time or available CPUs on my
machine most workdays, so it’s hard to look into the code, make modifications,
and spin up test update cases.

> Ideally, around step 2, all maintainers would be notified how to access the
> new distribution, I guess?

Also:

4.  The rsync mirrors need to switch from using the CVS repository to using
GitHub as the basis for updates.

> Is anybody working on this? If not, once CVS write access is down for good, I
> fear lots of Fink users will be stranded and will require manual work to
> migrate to git/svn.

IMO it was a bit of a jerk move for SF.net <http://sf.net/> to schedule it this
way, since US people are just barely back up to speed after Thanksgiving. That
being said, I slept for quite a bit of the holiday weekend because I needed to
do that.

Honestly, lots of Fink users strand themselves by updating their OSes before
updating Fink, so we’re used to that.  The specter of user inconvenience
doesn’t add more productive hours to my day, unfortunately.