> On Dec 1, 2017, at 09:05, Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 1, 2017, at 05:35, Max Horn <m...@quendi.de> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>

>> SF.net meant to disable CVS commits yesterday, but it seems they have not
>> yet (at least I was just able to commit something).
>>

>> I have been badly out of the loop, but: is anybody working on a transition
>> plan? It seems high time for one, no? It seems we need at least this, in
>> order:
>>
>> 1. A fink release with selfupdate-git or -svn support (done!)
>>

> It’s in master but a release hasn’t been tagged yet.
>
>> 2. A full migration of the CVS repository to SVN or GIT (status?)
>>   and disable write access to the CVS repository for everybody (except for
>> handful of admins, so they can perform the next step)
>>

> I’m not sure what the repository status is.
>
> I would like folks to stop using *just* IRC and also record issues and the
> like on github.com/fink/fink so that we don’t have to rely on people’s
> memories, fragile IRC bots, or people being logged in to IRC all the time (I
> don’t even open my laptop when I get home some days).
>
> I just sent out a message with a soft freeze announcement.  I’ll adjust
> CVSROOT later on.
>
>> 3. A fink release (with an .info file in the CVS repository) which disables
>> selfupdate-cvs, and instead prompts the user to switch to the -git or -svn
>> variant.
>>

> And how, exactly, should this be done?  A diff or PR against current master
> would be great.  I don’t have a lot of focused time or available CPUs on my
> machine most workdays, so it’s hard to look into the code, make
> modifications, and spin up test update cases.
>
>> Ideally, around step 2, all maintainers would be notified how to access the
>> new distribution, I guess?
>>

> Also:
>
> 4.  The rsync mirrors need to switch from using the CVS repository to using
> GitHub as the basis for updates.
>
>> Is anybody working on this? If not, once CVS write access is down for good,
>> I fear lots of Fink users will be stranded and will require manual work to
>> migrate to git/svn.
>>

> IMO it was a bit of a jerk move for SF.net to schedule it this way, since US
> people are just barely back up to speed after Thanksgiving. That being said,
> I slept for quite a bit of the holiday weekend because I needed to do that.
>

> Honestly, lots of Fink users strand themselves by updating their OSes before
> updating Fink, so we’re used to that.  The specter of user inconvenience
> doesn’t add more productive hours to my day, unfortunately.
>

>> Cheers,
>> Max

Well, so much for that idea.  It took effect.  We’re down to only pserver
checkouts :

I guess our update strategy is now:

1)  For people using /sw, use “apt-get install fink” to get a new fink, for
distributions where we’re currently building a bindist.
2)  For other folks, grab the appropriate fink*.info file from GitHub or inject
from master or the 0.43 branch when that goes live.

That’ll make testing a bit easier, since there won’t be a direct upgrade path.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison