PS:

I have now committed a fix for python2.7, in which I point it at the SDK_PATH.
So, yeah, it seems useful to expose that to packages. Perhaps we might even
want to add `-I$SDK_PATH/usr/include` to the default CPPFLAGS?

Note: the headers in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk are
not enough, it really needs to "see" the full 10.14 SDK in order to work.

I am told that another way to solve the problem with Python 2.7 (and probably
many other packages) is to install headers into /usr/include, by running

sudo installer -pkg
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.pkg
 -target /

See also
<https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode_release_notes/xcode_10_release_notes>

Alas, I am not sure that we can or want to suggest this to users.

Cheers,
Max