At 3:58 Uhr +0900 14.03.2002, Masanori Sekino wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:13:44 +0100
>Max Horn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  >So, package name `fooN' will become glib2-0, where foo=glib2, N=0
>>  >and hyphen is for distinguish N=0 with N=20.
>[...]
>>
>>  Do you want to say, you do this to be prepared for glib 20.0 ?
>
>Yes.

He, if we ever get to that version, I will eat my hat (or rather I
will buy one which I can then consume :-). It's rare for projects to
even attain the ten (yes, there's autocad, and OS X, but those exist
for almost 20 years)

>  > I mean, what is bad about the package name glib2? Assuming there will
>>  be a version 2.2, it will be glib2-2.2
>>
>>  If say 2.4 was binary incompatible, we could make a glib24-2.4
>>  package, however, I strongly doubt that will be necessary - for a
>>  binary compatibility break, they'll go to version 3 I think.
>
>According to our shlibs policy, package name should contains it's
>major version number. It is 0 for glib2 libraries.
>
>Probably, gtk peoples will keep compatibility under glib2 and will
>changes it's name to glib3 if compatiblility breaks. But should we
>break our policy and make a special naming rule for glib?

No. We don't have to break any rules. The major version is 2, so the
package should be called "glib2". If it laters turns out that glib
2.1 is incompatible, and we want to coexsting packages, we could name
it glib2-1, but I think this is an extremly unlikely scenario.

At 3:23 Uhr +0900 14.03.2002, Masanori Sekino wrote:
>-conf is a good naming, if it contains only config files. but shlibs
>packages may share these files:
>
>- config files
>- locale files
>- modules
>- program or scripts, needed by shlibs package, especially by *Script
>   field in .info file.
>
>So -common or -base is appropreate, I think.

-common sounds good.

Max