Yes, ideally the way we should build the binary distribution is to uninstall
everything before each run -- that would help to detect dependency problems.
The 0.4.1 and 0.5.0 distributions were each built by a single person (me)
running on a G4 iMac, and I simply didn't have (or take) the time to do
it in this very thorough way.  And if I had, it would have *really* slowed
things down, fixing all of the little probs.

This other system I alluded to will be a way to test for things like that.
But really, this level of testing is of the sort "are my supposed-stable
packages really ready for a point release?"  The testing I was talking
about before was of a simpler sort.

  -- Dave