On Jan 2,2003 18:23:19 -0500, Benjamin Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :
>On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 18:17, Martin Costabel wrote:
>
>> The fact that all qt3 splitoffs are "BuildDependsOnly: true" is probably
>> only a copy-n-pasto.
>
>Yeah.  I'll have to clean that up.
>
>> What gives me trouble is that the headers that were in qt3 previously
>> are in qt3-dev now. This means that all packages that depend on qt3 have
>> to be modified to depend on qt3-dev now. Has this been said somewhere
>> and I missed it?
>
>Well, originally I had put those packages together assuming that they
>would be released before qt 3.1 packages got released.  That would have
>made it all OK, because at the time, for compatibility purposes, qt3
>depended on qt3-dev in the new packages, so it would have continued to
>work.  Then it was pointed out that you're not supposed to depend on
>-dev packages so I removed it (which in this case, I don't agree with,
>but what the hey).  =)

If you're making a change like this, you'll need to be sure to add
  BuildDepends: qt3-dev
to any other package which needs it.  It's harmless to add that, because doing
so does not affect the binary of the package being built.  However, it's a bit
tricky to figure out when you are supposed to add those things (to avoid
messing up users who have an old qt3 package, for example).  Back in the
spring, there was some trouble syncing unstable and stable trees for this
reason.

What I would recommend is putting a "dummy" qt3-dev package into the stable
tree, with a version number that matches the current qt3 which is there.  It
can be completely empty (or maybe just one README in /sw/share/doc/%n to
explain it).  That way, you'll be able to add qt3-dev to the BuildDepends line
of other packages, whether stable or unstable, without affecting anything.
After the new qt3-with-splitoffs moves to stable, the standalone qt3-dev could
be removed.

  -- Dave