Thanks for the quick response.

the best thing to do is "fink remove pdftex"
That didn't work, but "fink purge pdftex" did.

 followed by "fink reinstall
tetex-base", which will hopefully fix it.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've got an older version of tetex installed on a laptop ... I'll use that for a few days while waiting for the kinks to be worked out. (Although I can invoke pdflatex as pdftex -progname pdflatex, I also seem to have some missing font problems ... which I may be able to resolve after reading /sw/share/doc/tetex-base/README.fink).

--Michal