Apologies. I forgot to mention that I was worrying about using the ICU for the time zone database rather than character sets.

On 28/04/2020 14:39, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
On 28-04-2020 15:28, Tony Whyman wrote:
On 28/04/2020 14:22, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
Databases (indexes) depends on ICU being the same (same sort key
version) or they need to be backed-up and restored (with gbak) to be
fully functional.
That surprises me, as I thought that a TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE was stored as a GMT time plus a time zone id. Why should this be ICU dependent - or does the time zone id change between ICU versions?

This isn't about time zones, but about ICU also being used for other things (character set collations), where updates of ICU might require an index rebuild for it to work.