Evening Alexey,

On 10/11/14 08:37, Alexey Kovyazin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As you know, we are going to translate recently completed Firebird
> Language Reference in Russian into English.

I've had a look and first of all, it doesn't work in Chromium Browser.
You get the first page, no button to "view" and the download link does
nothing. Very strange. Firefox works fine.

I find it hard to criticise people for their "lack of English" when my
lack of any other language is atrocious, however, when paying for
translation services, I would imagine that the translators would be
pretty much au-fait with the language.

1. The title - should it not be "Firebird SQL Database Guide" as opposed
to "SQL Firebird Database Guide"? The latter seems a bit back to front.

2. There are some strange language constructs - "This language subset is
used for developing the stored ...." - the "the" is superfluous in this
sentence. There are other examples through-out the text.

3. Some of the examples of SQL language seem to have lost spaces - we
have DECLAREVARIABLE and EXECUTEPROCEDURE etc.

4. The use of "A" when "the" is required - "A header of a trigger must
..." should be "The header of a trigger ..." for example.

5. The section on triggers (section 3) has an interesting first
paragraph. Perhaps it's just me, but I found it very hard to understand
it as written.

6. Overall, I'm not sure the quality of this translation is very good.
As I mentions, I'm loathe to criticise, but to me, the text doesn't read
very well at all.

And finally, a comment on the layout, the indenting of the section
headings is strange when the text of each section begins further to the
left. Sub-sections should probably be numbered as "section.sub-section"
rather than starting again at 1 for each. So the following on the first
page for example:

1. Stored Procedures.

1.1 Creating a Stored Procedure
1.2 Modifying a Stored Procedure