Jim Comen wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to determine what would be the best (and most appropriate) OS
> platform for a firewall.  I've looked through several months of past
> postings on this mailing list as well as other URLs to see if I could find
> any clear direction on this issue, but I haven't seen any.
> I'm going between NT and a UNIX variant.

The company I work for was using NT-based firewall for about a year and
than
migrated to Unix (namely FreeBSD). On NT we were using Microsoft Proxy
1.0. On
FreeBSD we use several proxies, including Squid for http, SOCKS5 for
circuit-
level proxying, ftp-gw from TIS FWTK, etc.

There were several reasons for migration. First of them was reliability.
Being
a security conscious person (as a firewall maintainer should be, right?)
I applied
all security related patches for NT. There were quite a lot of them
recently.
In a while the NT box became perfectly unstable bluescreening or hanging
every
now and then, so I ended up rebooting it almost every morning.

The second thing was performance. It showed that Microsoft Proxy almost
stops
responding at 20 simultaneous user sessions. I witnessed this several
times
and was quite disappointed about it.

The third thing was logging. NT just doesn't log IP addresses. Instead
it logs
NetBIOS names. It is a great to know that someone from machine named
HAX0R was
trying different user names and passwords and finally broke in. It gives
you
just the info you need, right? Now you just seek the whole Internet and
find
that HAX0R, easily.

The last thing I can call transparency. I came from NT world and studied
it a
lot (even got that MCSE tag), but I still keep wondering on many things
with
it having no way to find out the answer. For instance, why my desktop NT
box
listens on port 1033 TCP? It has nothing to do with NetBIOS, or SMB or
whatever
I have on it, so why? I even don't have any tool to find out which
process
does it. Suppose you have intrusion. How do you know if some odd
behavior is
the result of intrusion or some odd NT feature you never stumbled upon
before?
And you keep wondering what else is lurking there of which you don't
have even
slightest notion.

It takes much time and experiment to stripe down NT to its "bare bones"
if it is possible at all. And there are things that you just cannot do.
I still
think than one doesn't need a GUI on a firewall host, but you cannot do
anything
about it in NT.

Striping down Unix is much easier. It is extensively documented, and,
well,
comprehensible. And going with open source software gives you
opportunity to
dig as deep as you like, even changing anything you want or need to your
likening.

Now for Unix. We are using FreeBSD for a firewall for about half a year.
It never
crashed. It runs on twice less memory and slowerer processor than NT
used to and
never had any performance problems at all. It has a flexible logging
architecture,
so I can log what I want and need. While using NT I had no idea that my
network is
portscanned almost daily. Now I have. FreeBSD has support for packet
filtering
in kernel. NT lacks desperately capabilities it provides, such as ICMP
filtering,
filtering based on TCP flags, source and destination IP address, etc.

Of course, my experience is not universal. We have rather tight budget
for
firewall and couldn't afford some full blown solution like Firewall-1,
which
could give NT installation some features it lacks. Please, let us don't
start
any flame war on NT vs. Unix. I have described just my own experience.
Yours
may be different.

--
Alla Bezroutchko                                        Sovlink LLC
Systems  Administrator                                  Moscow, Russia
-
  • ... Jim Comen
    • ... Alla Bezroutchko
    • ... coy