Michel

this is an interesting question and you can find a plausible answer for
if you take a look at the etymology of this word.
http://www.capurro.de/infoconcept.html

Latin "informatio" as a noun is used, as far as I know, only in the
singular and means giving form to something in a 'material' as well as
in a 'spiritual' (education, communication) sense. It would be possible
to say in (ancient and medieval) Latin "informationes" but not in the
sense we use it today. It would mean different processes of formation,
not 'pieces' of 'information'.

The ontological (or 'material') use of 'informatio' becomes (partly)
obsolete in Modernity (and is rediscovered today). In English the use of
the plural goes back to the 14th Century, but is rare later. The use of
the singular is a reminiscence also in the case of British empiricists
who prefer the term "impressions" of Aristotelic philosophy probably
because it sounds less Aristotelian .

Nevertheless the epistemological context that prevails in Modernity
(information = communicating something to someone) (since the
ontological sense became obsolete with the disappearence of Aristotelian
philosophy) makes possible (and meaningful...) the use of the plural (as
in the case of French, Spanish, Italian)

Take a look at this text quoted from the article by Capurro/Hjoerland I
mentioned before (or go directly to my Dissertation written in German
some 30 years ago! http://www.capurro.de/info.html where you will find
in detail many of the sources):

"Peters (1988, p. 12) asserts that Bacon's (1967) "Great Instauration":

criticizes the logicians of his day for receiving "as conclusive the
immediate informations of the sense..." Instead, those "informations"
must be subjected, according to Bacon, to a sure plan that will sort the
true form the false. Though Bacon's usage may not appear irreconcilable
with our own, the inverted pluralization should tip us off that he does
not completely share our prejudices (we should say "the information of
the senses"). In fact, this locution exemplifies a perfectly hylomorphic
notion of the workings of the senses: they are a kind of matter (wax
being a favorite empiricist instance) on which objects of the world may
leave their shapes or stamps. What is interesting here is that the site
of information is being shifted from the world at large to the human
mind and senses. This shift requires no break with scholastic notions of
mind or nature.

Indeed this epistemological notion of information(s), particularly the
wax metaphor, was a key higher-level concept throughout the Middle Ages.
Consider Locke's (1995, p. 373) statement: "No existence of anything
without us, but only of GOD, can certainly be known further than our
senses inform us." Peters (1988, pp. 12-13) concludes:

Information was readily deployed in empiricist philosophy (though it
played a less important role than other words such as impression or
idea) because it seemed to describe the mechanics of sensation: objects
in the world in-form the senses. But sensation is entirely different
from "form" — the one is sensual, the other intellectual; the one is
subjective, the other objective. My sensation of things is fleeting,
elusive, and idiosynchratic [sic]. For Hume, especially, sensory
experience is a swirl of impressions cut off from any sure link to the
real world... In any case, the empiricist problematic was how the mind
is informed by sensations of the world. At first informed meant shaped
by; later it came to mean received reports from. As its site of action
drifted from cosmos to consciousness, the term's sense shifted from
unities (Aristotle's forms) to units (of sensation). Information came
less and less to refer to internal ordering or formation, since
empiricism allowed for no preexisting intellectual forms outside of
sensation itself. Instead, information came to refer to the fragmentary,
fluctuating, haphazard stuff of sense. Information, like the early
modern worldview more generally, shifted from a divinely ordered cosmos
to a system governed by the motion of corpuscles. Under the tutelage of
empiricism, information gradually moved from structure to stuff, from
form to substance, from intellectual order to sensory impulses.

Later developments on etymology are partly covered by the next section.
Here we will conclude that the modern uses of information show a
transition period in which the medieval ontological concept of "molding
matter" is not just abandoned but reshaped under empirical and
epistemological premises. It has been extremely interesting to observe
how the concept of information is closely connected to views of
knowledge. This conclusion is important when we later analyze the
concept of information in information science, because it indicates a
severly neglected connection between theories of information and
theories of knowledge."

Probably the opposition between Aristotle and Empircism is less stronger
than Peters interprets because the sensory process of 'informatio' (or
"informatio sensus") is not primarily (!) oriented towards intellectual
forms (as in case of animal sensation). Anyway there is at first sight
no parallel terminus technicus to our present "informations" in
(ancient) Greek. The Latin philosophers (and the Arab philosophers
before! particularly Averroes from which Albertus Magnus 'takes' the
term or adscribes it to him) are translating key texts of Plato and
Aristotle where the terms "eidos" "idea" or "typos" (and other terms)
appear.

Plato developped the theory of 'participation' (or "methexis") and
Aristotle the one of abstraction ('aphairesis') of the forms of things
by sensory organs (and intellect) "without the matter" ("aneu tes
hyles"). Take a look at this article on Aristotle and Mathematics from
the Stanford Encyclopedia (part. Chapter 7)
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-mathematics/

One (at least) question remains open: which is the word/concept used in
Ancient Greek (and Latin) corresponding to our modern concept of
information(s)? My answer: it was the concept of message ('angelia' in
Greek and 'notitia' together with 'nuntiare/nuntius' in Latin). These
terms were (from our point of view) too Modern, so to speak, to
translate Platonic/Aristotelian philosophy. Or, to put it in other
words: how far can we interpret ancient Greek philosophy in
'informational' (or 'communicational') terms? how strong is the paradigm
change in case there is one? and how far are we creating a new kind of
philosophy of information by combining both traditions (that were
present in ancient 'informatio')? I talked shortly about this in the
León meeting (mentioned by Pedro). Here is my text (in Spanish)
http://www.capurro.de/leon.pdf

kind regards

Rafael

> Hello FISers.
>
> Recently, one of my colleagues attract my attention on the following point.
> In French, we often use information as a countable quantity,
> so that we can write "informations".
> In English, it seems that it is unusual, if not incorrect, to do that.
> (1) Please can some English native FISers give their opinion about that ?
> (2) Please can some FISers from non English-speaking countries tell us
> how is the situation in their own language ?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Michel.
>
> Michel Petitjean,
> DSV/iBiTec-S/SB2SM (CNRS URA 2096), CEA Saclay, bat. 528,
> 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France.
> Phone: +331 6908 4006 / Fax: +331 6908 4007
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html

Prof. Dr. Rafael Capurro
Hochschule der Medien (HdM) - Stuttgart Media University, Wolframstr. 32
70191 Stuttgart, Germany
Private: Redtenbacherstr. 9, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice Stuttgart: + 49 - 711 - 25706 - 182
Voice private: + 49 - 721 - 98 22 9 - 22 (Fax: -21)
Homepage: www.capurro.de
Homepage ICIE: http://icie.zkm.de
Homepage IRIE: http://www.i-r-i-e.net
Information Ethics Senior Fellow, 2007-2008; 2009-2010, Center for Information
Policy Research, School of Information Studies, UW-Milwaukee, USA