John,

If I understood you correctly, then information (singular) does not
refer (in English) to things but (as in Latin "informatio") to the (!)
process going on when people get acquainted with something they
want/need to know such as in the utterance "for your information". In
Spanish, however, we use the plural "informaciones" (such as in French
"informations") which means that we use it as a count noun but also as a
mass noun. We say "para su información" too. According to this use of
information in English, there we a contradiction to speak about
"transmission of information" in the sense os something (countable) to
be transmitted from A to B. Also the utterance "a mathematical theory of
information" should not refer to something countable (and computable)
but to a process by which countable things (such as messages) are
transmitted. Am I right with this interpretation? Also the term
"information theory" in English would be semantically different as when
we say "teoría de la información" in Spanish.
kind regards
Rafael

> At 04:35 PM 12/6/2008, Michel PETITJEAN wrote:
>
>> Hello FISers.
>>
>> Recently, one of my colleagues attract my attention on the following point.
>> In French, we often use information as a countable quantity,
>> so that we can write "informations".
>> In English, it seems that it is unusual, if not incorrect, to do that.
>> (1) Please can some English native FISers give their opinion about that ?
>> (2) Please can some FISers from non English-speaking countries tell us
>> how is the situation in their own language ?
>>

> Michel, folks,
>
> I haven't seen anything on the specific philosophical grammar of
> 'information' in English yet, so I will add some remarks. In English
> there are count nouns and mass nouns. Count nouns always take an
> adjective, like a South African, the Pope, a bicycle, and have plural
> forms. Mass nouns do not take an adjective when referred to
> singularly, such as water, gold, and humanity, and do not have a
> plural form. Mass terms refer to things not collectively per se, but
> in a distributed way. So we can say "Dogs are typically larger than
> cats", but we have to say "Gold is heavier than water." Mass terms
> can take an adjective, however, such as in "The gold in this ring is
> 90% pure." 'Information', in English, is a mass term. Note that count
> nouns and mass nouns can both have quantitative values, such as
> "There are ten dogs in this pen." and "The gold in this ring weighs 2
> grams." However, typically, count nouns need no modifiers for their
> quantities, whereas mass nouns do, as in the previous examples.
> Information, as a mass term, follows this practice, and requires a
> measure, typically bits or entropy units, or something of the like.
> Furthermore, count nouns require something like 'the number of' in
> comparisons, for example, "The number of dogs in this pen is less
> than the number of cats in that pen." Contrast this with, "The
> information in this data is less than the information in the previous
> set of data." The phrase "the number of informations" is not
> grammatical in English, indicating that information is not a count noun.
>
> I my French is not sufficiently idiomatic to speak with any authority
> here, but I had thought that the mass/count distinction was pretty
> much the same, so I am surprised that 'informations' is grammatical.
> I think that there is a mass/count distinction in all languages (it
> is far to handy to not use), but grammatical markers are quite
> different (English articles, for example, are hard to translate). I
> should also point out that there are often hidden or suppressed
> grammatical differences that do not appear in the surface structure,
> or are apparently violated in surface structure. An example is that
> in English ships are feminine gender, even though there are no gender
> markers in English. I suppose the mass'count distinction could be
> hidden in some languages. It is possible that even in English the
> [...]

Prof. Dr. Rafael Capurro
Hochschule der Medien (HdM) - Stuttgart Media University, Wolframstr. 32
70191 Stuttgart, Germany
Private: Redtenbacherstr. 9, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice Stuttgart: + 49 - 711 - 25706 - 182
Voice private: + 49 - 721 - 98 22 9 - 22 (Fax: -21)
Homepage: www.capurro.de
Homepage ICIE: http://icie.zkm.de
Homepage IRIE: http://www.i-r-i-e.net
Information Ethics Senior Fellow, 2007-2008; 2009-2010, Center for Information
Policy Research, School of Information Studies, UW-Milwaukee, USA