At 04:35 PM 12/6/2008, Michel PETITJEAN wrote:
>Hello FISers.
>
>Recently, one of my colleagues attract my attention on the following point.
>In French, we often use information as a countable quantity,
>so that we can write "informations".
>In English, it seems that it is unusual, if not incorrect, to do that.
>(1) Please can some English native FISers give their opinion about that ?
>(2) Please can some FISers from non English-speaking countries tell us
>how is the situation in their own language ?

Michel, folks,

I haven't seen anything on the specific philosophical grammar of
'information' in English yet, so I will add some remarks. In English
there are count nouns and mass nouns. Count nouns always take an
adjective, like a South African, the Pope, a bicycle, and have plural
forms. Mass nouns do not take an adjective when referred to
singularly, such as water, gold, and humanity, and do not have a
plural form. Mass terms refer to things not collectively per se, but
in a distributed way. So we can say "Dogs are typically larger than
cats", but we have to say "Gold is heavier than water." Mass terms
can take an adjective, however, such as in "The gold in this ring is
90% pure." 'Information', in English, is a mass term. Note that count
nouns and mass nouns can both have quantitative values, such as
"There are ten dogs in this pen." and "The gold in this ring weighs 2
grams." However, typically, count nouns need no modifiers for their
quantities, whereas mass nouns do, as in the previous examples.
Information, as a mass term, follows this practice, and requires a
measure, typically bits or entropy units, or something of the like.
Furthermore, count nouns require something like 'the number of' in
comparisons, for example, "The number of dogs in this pen is less
than the number of cats in that pen." Contrast this with, "The
information in this data is less than the information in the previous
set of data." The phrase "the number of informations" is not
grammatical in English, indicating that information is not a count noun.

I my French is not sufficiently idiomatic to speak with any authority
here, but I had thought that the mass/count distinction was pretty
much the same, so I am surprised that 'informations' is grammatical.
I think that there is a mass/count distinction in all languages (it
is far to handy to not use), but grammatical markers are quite
different (English articles, for example, are hard to translate). I
should also point out that there are often hidden or suppressed
grammatical differences that do not appear in the surface structure,
or are apparently violated in surface structure. An example is that
in English ships are feminine gender, even though there are no gender
markers in English. I suppose the mass'count distinction could be
hidden in some languages. It is possible that even in English the
distinction is hidden or grammatically violated; I am not that expert
on idiomatic English, either.

The mass/count distinction I know mostly from work on identity, in
which it is a very basic distinction that must be understood before
one can go on. Count nouns are sometimes called 'sortals', with
sortals applying to a period of time but not the whole period of
existence of something being called 'phasal sortals'. There is no
similar concept for mass terms, so one has to circumlocute, or else
use implication. For example, if some clay is made into a statue of
the Baby Goliath, and then squeezed down into a lump again, we can't
really call the Baby Goliath a phase of the clay, but have to refer
to the clay in terms of its being a lump: "That clay was a statue of
the Baby Goliath, but now it is not." means, more precisely that that
lump of clay was once a statue of the Baby Goliath, where 'lump' is a
count noun, and a sortal.

'Data', incidentally, is often treated as a mass term, but it has a
singular, 'datum'. So the rules are not hard and fast. Information
and data are obviously closely linked, so one could have a
grammatical nightmare if one wasn't careful, but idiomatic English
speakers have no trouble (most of the time -- I could tell you a
story of my boss at the Dominion Observatory, but I digress).

Cheers,
John