Dear John and colleagues,

Very clear: thanks. For my own thinking, I make reference to different
systems: we communicate discursive knowledge and we hold reflexively
knowledge as persons. Both types of knowledge are reflexive, but with
different dynamics. For example, discursive knowledge can circulate in
networks relatively independent of specific persons.

What is basic, is also different between these two knowledge systems. At the
individual level "know how" may be more basic than "know what", but in the
communication system one would expect "know what" to be more basic. The
system can only "know how" by entertaining a discourse in the
philosopy/history/sociology of science.

Best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net> l...@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

  _____